The Project Runway Challenge Begins!

Miss me?!?!?!  It's been so long since I've blogged.....I was super busy for the holidays, making cards to sell on my Etsy shop.  It was a pretty successful holiday season for me, so I'm very pleased!

So, here is my latest challenge.....The Project Runway All Stars Design Challenge!  I LOVE Project Runway so much--one of my favorite shows.  I love how the challenges bring out the best and worst in the creative processes of the designers and I see a lot of parallels to how I work creatively.  Here's how it's going to work:  I will adapt each week's Project Runway challenge to my card making and create a new project with the same (or similar) guidelines as the designers have!  I didn't give myself the same timelines because I am part of society, unlike the designers, who are holed up in NYC, working away....

1st EPISODE:  The 13 All Star designers each brought one of their signature designs with them and they had an impromptu fashion show right away.  They were all stunning, by the way.  Their challenge was to create a look inspired by their signature design, using unconventional materials found at the Dollar Store!  They got $100 and 30 minutes to look for stuff (they can also use muslin as their base).  The results were amazing!

I adapted the challenge to create a card set based on one of my signature card sets, using stuff I found at the Dollar Store!  I gave myself $5 and 10 minutes to look for things, using white card stock as my version of muslin.  How much fun?!?!?!  The signature design I chose because it is one of my favorites and most successful sellers:













So, off we went to the Dollar Store, where I thought I might buy some ribbons or some streamers, or something similar...but when I walked in, I saw these dried grasses right away and my mind went wild! Four minutes! (Joe was like, "Are you SURE you shouldn't use your entire time? You know what the judges will say.") Ha!



















So, after a few days of hot glue and grasses all over my desk, here is what I came up with:



















LOVE them!  I totally think I would be the winner in this challenge!  It took me a while to get the technique down, but I ended up using Distress Inks for the background card (so any card that showed through wouldn't be so stark white)...totally comparable to using Rit Dye, right??  I cut small strips of card stock and hot glued the grasses individually in sections of 1/4 to 1/2 inch (the glue hardens quickly).  And then glued those strips to the card stock base.  Here is a photo (the strip of grasses is on the back side):















So, here's to a creative 2012!  If anyone wants to play along, leave me a comment and we'll see what we can do!

Cindy ScrappyV

Comments

  1. SO creative, Cindy! Who knew that going to Dollar store can provide such a great outlet for creativity! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantatic post! Love,love,love your 'grass' cards you are a genius, I would never have thought to use it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts